While many might consider Valencia to be the heart of Santa Clarita, Newhall is very much the soul of Santa Clarita. Unlike Valencia, Newhall has homes and institutions that date much farther back. Newhall was once the home of an airstrip used by Hollywood celebrities for their weekend getaways. It is the home of the first actual gold discovery, at Placerita Creek. The entertainment heritage remains, as Disney has a large film studio there, and Melody Ranch is in constant demand as well.
Newhall stretches far to the northeast, encompassing Quigley Canyon and Placerita Canyon, home of The Masters University. To get there, you’ll need to drive past the hills of Valle de Oro. Newhall is perhaps, the most “practical” place to live the the city of Santa Clarita. Its proximity to both the 14 and 5 freeways makes it the closest to L.A. for commuters.
Weekly #Newhall Real Estate Market Report
Newhall’s extremely wide variety of neighborhoods makes it a place ANYONE can consider for a home.
From the hilltop mansions above Peachland Elementary, to the mansions of Circle J Ranch, you will find some incredible one-of-a-kind properties for sale for well above $800,000. At the same time, hilltop condominium communities like The Vistas and Rainbow Glen offer first-time home buyers a way in to the Santa Clarita Valley lifestyle.
Newhall is home to neighborhoods of so many types.
Entry level neighborhoods:
- Rainbow Glen – Located along the Soledad Canyon corridor in eastern Newhall, this townhouse and single family home neighborhood has something for everyone.
- The Vistas – Situated atop Valle de Oro in south Newhall, The Vistas is a sprawling 1,2 and 3 bedroom condominium complex that offers some lucky residents views normally associated with luxury properties. These go in the mid $200’s.
- Friendly Valley – A distinct Senior’s 55+over community, Friendly Valley is located in east Newhall, over the hills and fronts a 9 hole golf course. There is a wide variety of activities and support services for residents there who brave the multi-thousand dollar one-time HOA buy-ins.
- Del Prado – Located adjacent to the 5 freeway, these starter homes were built in the 50’s and 60’s.
- Old Town Newhall – While Old Town Newhall is undergoing an impressive re-vitalization, with an art theater joining many trendy new restaurants, the homes within a half-mile of the area were all built decades ago, on small lots and have not enjoyed the renovations that older neighborhoods like Happy Valley have had.
- Happy Valley – A favorite area of many, the long tree-covered streets house far more people than meets the eye. Many large lots have been broken down into rows of smaller homes on flaglot driveways. Those that haven’t done this enjoy quiet, serene days away from any major streets.
- Valle Di Oro – Located at the intersection of Golden Valley Road and Sierra Highway, these homes are perhaps the newest in all of Newhall. Priced from the high $400’s and up.
- Hidden Knoll/Lantana Hills- 3,4 and 5 bedroom homes located in the hills off Dockweiler Road near the 14 freeway and Valle De oro.
- Placerita Canyon – There are homes for sale of ALL types out in Placerita Canyon. That might not be a good thing for some. Sidewalks are few and far between, and a mansion may be across the street from a neglected home. You have to visit this are to appreciate all the possibilities.
- Peachland Estates – Wonderful view homes perched atop the hills overlooking Newhall.
- Circle J Ranch – Wonderful estates built more recently, with large lots. Not equestrian sized, but football field sized.
- Wildwood Canyon – Magnificent homes, some with a view, others tucked below.
- Placerita Canyon – Mentioned already as a middle priced area, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out all the equestrian properties and horse-friendly ranches available here.